State Board For Community and Technical Colleges
The nine members of the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (State Board) are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor with the consent of the Senate. In making appointments, the Governor is required to consider geographic balance and the representation of labor, business, women, and racial and ethnic minorities. At least one member of the board must be from business and one from labor. Two must be from Eastern Washington. Board members must be citizens and residents of the state.
The State Board is required to provide "general supervision and control over the state system of community and technical colleges."
Key responsibilities include:
- Prepare a single system operating budget request and capital budget request for consideration by the Legislature.
- Disburse capital and operating funds appropriated by the Legislature to the college districts.
- Ensure that each college maintains an open door policy and offers the educational, training, and service programs specified by law.
- Administer criteria for establishment of new colleges and for the modification of district boundary lines.
- Establish minimum standards for the operation of community and technical colleges with respect to personnel qualifications, budgeting, accounting, auditing, curriculum content, degree requirements, admission policies, and the eligibility of courses for state support.
- Prepare a comprehensive master plan for community and technical college education.
- Encourage innovation, coordinate research, and disseminate research findings.
State Board Goals and Policy Focus
This quick reference guide brings together the State Board's vision and principles, 10-year goals, Mission Study action plan, and policy focus:
2014-15 State Board Goals
2014-15 State Board Policy Focus
System Direction 2006
SBCTC Meeting Agenda
State Board meetings are open to the public. Upcoming meeting agendas will be available on-line approximately one week in advance.
Top of page
Page Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page Reviewed/Updated: July 28, 2015, 9:23 AM