Jump to main content

Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges

search print page

SBCTC Policy Manual
Chapter 4: Instructional Program and Course Development

4.50.00 Basic Education for Adults

The State Board is responsible for administration of the state and federally funded adult basic education programs in the State of Washington (see RCW 28B.50.020 (3); RCW 28B.50.030 (12); RCW 28B.50.250; SBCTC Adult Basic Education).

4.50.10 Certificate of High School Equivalency (HSE)

The State Board is the state administrator for HSE testing. The Board authorizes agencies to administer the HSE Test to qualify persons for the Certificate of Educational Competence including determining eligibility for taking the HSE test and administering the test (see WAC 131-48; WAC 131-48-060; RCW 28B.50.912; RCW 28B.50.536; Washington State GED website).

4.50.20 High School Completion

Community and technical colleges are authorized to provide opportunities for adults to complete studies leading to a high school diploma, provided that admission to such a program is consistent with the general community and technical college residency procedures and diplomas are awarded subject to Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction and State Board of Education rules and regulations (see RCW 28B.50.535; WAC 131‑12‑010). Minimum requirements for completing high school are set by the State Board of Education (see WAC 180-51-061). Statutory provisions govern the program for persons 18 years of age and over (see WAC 180-51-053). For graduation requirements for students over age 21 see WAC 180-51-035.

4.50.30 College Issued High School Diploma

Upon written request and meeting eligibility criteria, any student who earns an associate degree of any type shall receive a high school diploma from the college (see RCW 28B.50.535).

Policy Resources

Policy History

ActionDescriptionRevision Date
SBCTC Resolution 13-06-30 amended Chapter 131-48 WAC 4.50.10 changed the term General Education Development (GED) to High School Equivalency (HSE) and removed GED specific language. 6/20/2013
SHB 1758 (2009) amended RCW 28B.50.535 Added 4.50.30 the option for Running Start students or students over 21 to request a high school diploma after completing an associate degree. 7/1/2009
WAC 180-72-055 repealed and  WAC 180-51-035 amended by the WA State Board of Education 4.50.20 changed from 19 years of age to 18 years of age and added WAC reference for students over 21. 3/10/2005
SBCTC Resolution 02-09-16 Board approved Policy Manual 9/19/2002

Top of page

Page Manager: cmckenzie@sbctc.edu
Page Reviewed/Updated: September 23, 2015, 5:19 PM

The Content box should not go past this line >>

WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges  |  Open 8 AM - 5 PM, Mon-Fri  |  Phone: 360-704-4400  |  Fax: 360-704-4415

PO Box 42495  1300 Quince Street SE  Olympia, WA 98504-2495  |  Get Directions  |  Contact Web Master