SBCTC Policy Manual
Chapter 1: Statutes, Policies, and Regulations Governing Washington Community and Technical Colleges
1.30.00 Executive Director State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
1.30.10 Appointment and Duties/Responsibilities of the Executive Director
The Executive Director of the state system of community and technical colleges is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the State Board. Qualifications, duties, and responsibilities of the Executive Director are set forth in RCW 28B.50.060.
1.30.20 Delegation of Authority to the Executive Director
By resolution, the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges delegates to the Executive Director authority to perform the following in the name of the Board. Delegation of these authorities, together with future delegations of the Board’s powers and duties, shall be filed in the Executive Director’s office.
- To negotiate and execute contracts and agreements necessary for the performance of the Board’s or the Executive Director’s statutory duties, provided that:
- Funds are available for payment of such contracts and agreements and related costs.
- The initial obligation for the expenditure of funds does not exceed five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) for information-technology expenditures and two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) for all other expenditures.
- To make application for and accept federal and private funds available for educational purposes or to aid educational institutions or boards. Acceptance of such funds is subject to conditions attached thereto, the laws of the State of Washington, and State Board policies and rules.
- To regulate districts’ sale, exchange, and conveyance of community or technical college personal property pursuant to RCW 28B.50.090(12).
- To approve or disapprove applications for professional-technical programs submitted in accordance with State Board policies and procedures governing these programs (see Chapter 4 - Instructional Program and Course Development).
- To set guidelines and receive and disburse funds for capital support, maintenance and operation of community and technical college districts in conformance with state and district budgets and RCW 43.88 (see Chapter 6 - Capital Expenditures and Real Property Transactions). This authority includes:
- Distributing funds for project preplanning and master planning as appropriated and according to criteria reviewed and approved by the Board.
- Approving expenditures of local capital funds for projects up to one million dollars ($1,000,000). At each Board meeting, the Executive Director will provide a summary of projects approved since the prior Board meeting.
- Approving transfer of title to real property to a public agency.
- Approving easements to public agencies or utility companies.
- Approving the rental or lease of facilities by a community or technical college district that will have 24‑hour control of such facilities.
- Approving the rental or lease of community and technical college facilities to a lessee that will have 24‑hour control.
- Approving or authorizing local boards to approve the rental or lease of facilities by a community or technical college district that will not have 24-hour control.
- Executing documents required for Certificates of Participation and ground leases previously approved by the State Board in the capital budget.
- To appoint a designee for the duration of an absence.
- To approve employee travel to Hawaii and foreign countries, consistent with the provisions of the State Administrative and Accounting Manual 10.10.50(b).
1.30.30 Delegation of Authority to Division Directors
By the authority granted from the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, the Executive Director may delegate signature authority to the SBCTC Division Directors, provided that funds are available for payment for good and services.
1.30.40 Delegation of Authority by Division Directors
By authority granted to the Executive Director, the Division Directors may delegate signature authority to other staff, provided that funds are available for payment for good and services.
|SBCTC Resolution 13-06-33
||1.30.20 increased Executive Director’s authority to enter into purchasing agreements for information technology-related purchases from $400,000 to $500,000 and from $100,000 to $250,000 for all other types of purchasing agreements. Provided authority to apply for and accept private funds. Increased authority for approving expenditures of local capital funds from $400,000 to $1 million.
| Executive Director decision per RCW 28B.50.060
||1.30.30 and 1.30.40 removed the dollar limitations on the delegation of signature authority from the Executive Director to the Division Directors and from the Division Directors to other staff.
|SBCTC Resolution 02-09-16
||Board approved Policy Manual
Top of page
Page Manager: email@example.com
Page Reviewed/Updated: September 12, 2014, 11:20 AM