SBCTC Policy Manual
Chapter 7 Appendices
Appendix A: Guidelines for Accessing Public Records
Reasonable restrictions may be imposed on the exercise of the right to inspect public records. The right does not extend to taking possession of the records, or monopolizing them to the extent of undue interference in the operations of the office or the exercise of the right by others.
Persons desiring to inspect public records must have a legitimate interest in the record. Generally, interest as a taxpayer and citizen is sufficient.
In the broadest sense, the following qualify as public records. This should not be considered complete, but rather a guideline to the type of document that should be available for public inspection.
- Bylaws and seal of the state and district boards.
- Delegations of authorities of boards.
- State Board and district rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- College district budgets and the single capital and operating budgets for the state system.
- Reports submitted to the State Board by other agencies pursuant to law.
- The minutes of state and district board meetings.
- All agency records reflecting financial transactions, including public employee salaries.
- Records of data required of the State Board by governing agencies pursuant to rules adopted at the direction of the legislature, i.e., administrative orders adopting rules under the Administrative Procedures Act that are required by the Code Reviser in WAC 1-21.
- Reports and official correspondence of the State Board and the college districts to the Legislature and other public agencies.
- Reports by the State Board and college districts regarding enrollment, collective student data (not including confidential personal information), educational outcomes and the overall performance of the statewide system or individual colleges.
- The State Board reserves the right to impose a nominal charge for the reproduction of any records when persons who make requests for public records seek copies.
Top of page
Page Manager: email@example.com
Page Reviewed/Updated: September 12, 2014, 11:20 AM