Children and Spouse or the Domestic Partner of Totally Disabled or POW/MIA or Deceased Eligible Veterans or National Guard Members (fee pay status 72)
Get help downloading files.
Go to Waivers homepage
The legislature established this waiver to honor active and reserve veterans, National Guard members and their dependents. This is a mandatory tuition waiver for the children and spouse or domestic partner of totally disabled or POW/MIA or deceased eligible veterans or National Guard Members.
Community colleges shall waive all tuition and fees for a:
- Child and spouse or domestic partner of an eligible veteran or National Guard member who became totally disabled;
- Child and spouse or domestic partner of an eligible veteran or National Guard member determined to be a prisoner of war or missing in action;
- Child and spouse or domestic partner of an eligible veteran or National Guard member who lost his or her life;
- Child is defined as a biological child, adopted child, or stepchild.
Conditions for applying for this waiver include:
- The child and/or spouse or domestic partner must be a Washington domiciliary
- Children must between the age of 17 and 26
- A child’s marital status does not affect eligibility
- Surviving spouses or domestic partners have 10 years from the date of the death, total disability, or federal determination of prisoner of war or missing in action status of the eligible veteran or national guard member to receive the waiver
- Surviving spouses or domestic partners are ineligible for the waiver upon remarriage or registration in a subsequent domestic partnership
- Each recipient’s continued participation in the waiver program is subject to the colleges’ satisfactory progress policy.
- Total credits earned using this waiver may not exceed two hundred quarter credits, or the equivalent of semester credits.
This waiver had been offered prior to Fall of 2007 as a permissive waiver of all or a portion of tuition and fees. It is now a mandatory waiver of all tuition and fees.
Attorney General Guidance
See November 30, 2007 letter from Senior Assistant Attorney General David A. Stolier.
RCW 28B.15.621(4) – Tuition waivers – Veterans and national guard members – Dependents – Private institutions.
Back to Waivers homepage
Top of page
Page Manager: email@example.com
Page Reviewed/Updated: September 12, 2014, 11:19 AM